Photo courtesy Peter Tatchell
Every Christmas I choose one Christmas Appeal to give a reasonable donation to - this year (as last) the choice was a no-brainer. This year I have chosen the Peter Tatchell Foundation (PTF) whose strapline is "Speaking out for Human Rights".
Peter Tatchell Foundation
The Peter Tatchell Foundation (PTF) seeks to promote and protect the human rights of individuals, communities and nations, in the UK and internationally, in accordance with established national and international human rights law.
Peter Tatchell's recent achievements include:
- Legal action in the European Court of Human Rights in 2011, which helped prompt the government's commitment to legalise same-sex marriage
- Securing the first-ever condemnation of homophobia by a Commonwealth Secretary General
- Dialogue with the International Olympic Committee on sexism and homophobia in sport
- Helping with the Commonwealth's commitment to remove repressive criminal laws that hinder the fight against HIV
- Mobilising an email campaign that halted the execution of two Iranians who were scheduled to hang after unfair trials
- Coordinating the global Stop Murder Music campaign, which has reduced the prevalence of reggae lyrics that incite and glorify the murder of LGBT people
- Organising food, medicine and prison visits to the Malawian couple who were detained in jail for five months for holding a same-sex marriage ceremony
- Working to mobilise public and parliamentary opinion to amend Section 5 of the Public Order Act, which has been abused to inhibit free speech.
Find out more about the PTF and our campaigns here:
Please consider a donation
The PTF is independent and non-party political. We receive no Government or public funding and so we rely on individuals supporting us and our work - in terms of giving their time and also in terms of donating, either as a regular donor via standing order/direct debit (we really need regular donors who can commit to giving a set amount every month) or as a one-off donation.
This Christmas, do spare a thought for others in urgent need of help and support, less fortunate than ourselves, and please do consider becoming a regular donor, or making a one-off donation. Full details can be found here:
We do urgently need funds to enable us to continue with our work and our campaigns.
What is special about Peter?
"Don't accept the world as it is. Dream about what the world could be – then help make it happen."
- Peter Tatchell
I chose to volunteer to work for Peter because I have the deepest respect and admiration for him as a person and for his work.
Following in the pioneering footsteps of Sylvia Pankhurst, Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King, Peter has been at the forefront of the fight for LGBT equality for over 45 years, not just in the UK but worldwide.
I admire him because he speaks up for those who do not have a voice and he is a man of principle who is prepared to stand up and be counted. He is fearless and resolute. He has endured personal abuse and suffered physical injury fighting for the cause.
Over his 45 years of campaigning for LGBT and human rights, he has helped literally thousands and thousands of people worldwide.
Peter works very long hours, tirelessly and relentlessly; he tries to help and support others to the best of his ability; and he always puts others before himself. Those are all special qualities.
What am I doing for the PTF?
I always put my money where my mouth is. I am a supporter of the PTF (ie I give money each month) but this is the age of austerity and my own financial resources are substantially depleted (to put it mildly!).
So, as I can't be as helpful as I would like on the financial front, I have done the only thing that I can do which is to give myself to the PTF! I have been volunteering at the PTF since July 2012, and am now the Casework and Research Officer there (a voluntary position):
I believe in Peter, his work, and his campaigns and so I have chosen to give over a significant proportion of my time, energy and passion to the PTF to help take the work and the campaigns forward.
The PTF is a very small organisation and runs on Peter's passion, energy, commitment and hard work. For a small organisation, the PTF has a huge profile and media presence and punches far above and beyond its weight.
If you are not able to give financially but still want to support us,
You can sign up to our FREE mailing list here:
And follow us on:
Peter himself has his own Website, his own Facebook, and his own Twitter, and you can find them here:
Thank you for your consideration.
Photo credit: http://www.petertatchellfoundation.org/about